HISTORY

Dr. Lyndhurst C. Dodge, who was a resident of Rouses Point from 1868 to his death in 1901, bequeathed $10,000 ($6,000 for a building and $4,000 for books) to the people of Rouses Point to establish a free public library.  He stipulated that they should vote whether to accept this gift or not.  By a vote of 45 to 53 the residents of Rouses Point accepted the bequest and the responsibility of supporting the library. The RPDML opened on January 30, 1907 with an annual budget of $300.  Miss Sarah E. Hammond was the first librarian followed by Miss Mary Spear who filled the position for the next 22 years.